Monday, October 18, 2021

What is going on this month: October


Updated October, 2022

One of my favorite types of videos on the gardening pages I follow is when they show what they are currently working on. This could be the month or week I watch it. I find a lot of inspiration for what I could be doing during this time of year, and it has really helped! For example, in early August I watched a video about starting seeds for a fall crop. Now I have four garden beds that are absolutely flourishing with Radishes, Kale, Cucumber, Kohlrabi, and Cilantro. I would have assumed I couldn't plant these so late, but here we are with fresh salads at the end of October!

I would like to pass that service along and just make a monthly list of what I'm working on so that perhaps I can inspire someone else, or at the very least, keep a record for myself for next year. My list will be specific to my garden for now but will grow to encompass general strategies for my region and FDA zone, which is 5(b).

- Clearing out depleted Garden beds.

- Building cores for next year.

- Making Biochar

- Planting Cover Crops.

- Planting Garlic, Onions, and other Alliums.

- Burying potted herbs for winter.

- Winterizing compost piles.

- Building raised beds

- Drying tomatoes

- Bringing pepper plants inside

- Harvesting sunflowers

- Planting spring-blooming florals

- Mulching perennials.

- Splitting perennials 

Harvest and Forage Schedule:

- Tomatoes (final)

- Winecap Mushrooms 

- Honey Mushrooms 

- Maitake Mushrooms

- Enoki Mushrooms

- Ink cap Mushrooms

- Wood Blewit Mushrooms 

- Kale

- Cucumbers (final)

- Sunflower (final)

- Peppers (final)

- winter squash (final)

- Herbs

- Leafy Greens

- Brussel Sprouts

- Cabbage

- Daylily Blossoms (final)

- Hosta (final)

- Bunching onion tops

- strawberries (final)


No comments:

Post a Comment