Wednesday, May 18, 2022

What is going on this month: May

I've been so busy in the garden that I've been MIA on the blog! Maybe I'll call it MI-May. If you're gardening this year, this is probably a very busy month for you too! We've added so much to our garden and permaculture this year that it's blowing my mind; let me show you what we're working on.


As a reminder, my list will be specific to my garden for now but will grow to encompass general strategies for my region and FDA zone, which is 5(b).

Here's what we're working on in May:

- No Mow May

- Planting Perennial Veggies and Fruit
    Asparagus, Okra, Rhubarb, Passion Flower, Blueberry, Strawberry, Lemon Grass

- Running trellis lines for Hops

- Fill garden beds

- Direct sow seeds:
    Corn, Peas, Beans, Macha, Bunching Onions, Radish, Parsnip, Salsify

- Plant seedlings:
    Tomatoes, Capsicums, cucumbers, Squash, Herbs, Brassicas, Sunflowers

- Setting up rain collection

- Build garden beds

- Build outdoor mushroom beds

- Mulch beds

- Mulch paths

- Fence off gardens from pests

- Turn compost

Harvest/Forage Schedule:

- Dandelions

- Morel Mushrooms

- Dryad Saddle Mushrooms

- Dead Nettle

- Muscari/Grape Hyacinth 

- Ramps

- Spruce tips

- Hosta Shoots

- Fiddleheads

- Bitter Dock

- Chives

- Asparagus

- Kale


No comments:

Post a Comment